For years I was constantly asking myself and my close friends: “What am I going to do with my life?” Every few months I would have this very clear feeling that I was missing something important. I remember sitting around wondering what I was supposed to be doing and I hated the feeling. It’s always left me feeling lost and depressed. This went on well into my adult life. Even into my life and as wife and mom I struggled with this nagging question:
What am I going to do with my life?
It wasn’t until I learned some very fundamental things about my faith that the answer to my question began to come into view.
First: I learned that I was seeing God in the wrong role. I saw him a Savior who rescued me from sin and evil. That view is shortsighted and missed the reason why He saved me. Here is an interesting statement: God doesn’t even describe Himself as a savior. He describes Himself as a King. These are two very different roles, in both their purpose and in their implications.
As a Savior:
- God loves me and saved me from something really bad.
- I live my life in obedience to Him in order to pay on this debt that is too huge to ever fully repay. He’s a great God so, its worth it!
- The End.
As as a King:
- God has a Kingdom that He rules.
- I am His child and therefore heir to His Kingdom.
- Just like a king, He is looking to spread his territory.
- God loves me and He needed to deal with the thing that was blocking our relationship:sin. He did this so that I could fulfill my role in His Kingdom.
- The earth is where God decided to spread His Heavenly Kingdom.
- He gave me and all humanity rulership over earth, in His absence.
- God gave me an area of rulership where I reign like He reigns. I am His child who rules in the power and authority of my dad, The King.
- I was made to represent The Kingdom!
This changed me. It gave answers to my questions about purpose. It told me that I didn’t need to find a way to make an impact. I was made to rule! I was created to do my God given work and I will only be fulfilled by doing that work. I didnt have to figure out what I was going to do with my life. The answer was already destined for me. I just need to understand it.
I learned that my passion and pain about the idea of not knowing what I was meant to do was actually a big clue to the work God had given me to do. I learned that my purpose is to help people understand how to live in God’s Kingdom. That’s my work! That is what I am supposed to be doing with my life. This is what fuels me and it is what fulfills me.
I am inviting you to join me in answering this question for yourself and in learning how to get around to doing your life’s work. We are going to be getting together to “plan for purpose”. 2016 is around the corner and I am passionate about you getting on the path to understanding and articulating your purpose and life’s work. I also want to show you how to manage life so that you can make time for purpose.
When you learn how to manage life so that there is room for purpose you give yourself more:
I hope you can join us for breakfast and a jam packed worksession. Seating is limited so that we can get to know each other and answer lots of questions. See you there! Love you!!